On Thursday, 17 May 2018 at 23:16:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 07:13:23PM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
[...]

Yes. Imagine if we standardized on a header-based string encoding, and we wanted to implement a substring function over a string that contains multiple segments of different languages. Instead of a cheap slicing over the string, you'd need to scan the string or otherwise keep track of which segment the start/end of the substring lies in, allocate memory to insert headers so that the segments are properly interpreted, etc.. It would be an implementational nightmare, and an unavoidable performance hit (you'd have to copy data every time you take a substring), and the @nogc guys would be up in arms.

[...]
That's what rtf with code pages was essentially. I'm happy that we got rid of it and that they were replaced by xml, even if Microsoft's document xml being a bloated, ridiculous mess, it's still an order of magnitude less problematic than rtf (I mean at the text encoding level).