On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 14:47:59 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 12:43:20 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:

The only thing I got from this are that "smooth references" are like Rust's borrows. Which just gave me the idea to add this member function to `Unique`:

scope ref T borrow();

I have to think about @safety guarantees but it should be ok with DIP 1000.

Atila

Sounds interesting.

I imagine you could specialize this depending on mutability. Rust allows only one mutable borrow, but eliminated immutable borrows, but you can't mix them. You could also place some restrictions, like dis-allow borrows, only allow immutable borrows, etc.

Rust can do that because it enforces it at compile-time. A D solution wouldn't be able to do anything more with immutable borrows.