On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 11:56:39 UTC, Seb wrote:
[snip]

I think part of the above design decision connects in with why rcstring stores the data as ubytes, even for wchar and dchar. Recent comments suggest that it is related to auto-decoding.

Yes rcstring doesn't do any auto-decoding and hence stores its data as an ubyte array.

My sense is that an rcstring that does not have auto-decoding, even if it requires more work to get working with phobos is a better solution over the long-run.

What do you mean by this?

Just that there are a lot of complaints about D's auto-decoding of strings. Not doing any auto-decoding seems like a good long-run design decision, even if it makes some things more difficult.