On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 17:30:21 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 21:18:12 John Colvin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
Just do what std.typecons.Proxy does and return float.nan for the incomparable case.

Since when is that legal? I thought that it was required for opCmp to return int. Certainly, the spec implies that it has to be int. The fact that the compiler allows it seems like a bug, though if Phobos is doing it, it wouldn't surprise me if Walter would choose to update the spec rather than fixing the compiler.

It always worked with float as returntype (at least since I'm using D
- about 2.40 or so?), and it was necessary for the (unfortunately
deprecated) special operators <>, !<>, <>=, !<>=, ...

would really pissing me off if someone deemed this excellent feature
beeing a bug and removed it. The OP already found out that some
valuable mathematical concepts doesn't work with only 3 values for
opCmp. The 4th value is essencial.