On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 09:40:50PM +0000, tide via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 21:31:02 UTC, 0xEAB wrote:
[...]
> > Furthermore, how often have we cursed about games that hung up with
> > a blackscreen and didn't let us close them by any mean other than
> > logging off? If they just crashed, we'd not have run into such
> > problems.
>
> That's assuming an assert catches every error. Not all bugs are going
> to be caught by an assert. I don't think I've ever had a game hung up
> in a black screen and not be able to close it.

I have, and that's only one of the better possible scenarios.  I've had
games get into a bad state, which becomes obvious as visual glitches,
and then proceed to silently and subtly corrupt the save file so that on
next startup all progress is lost.

Had the darned thing aborted at the first visual glitch or unexpected
internal state, instead of blindly barging on pretending that visual
glitches are not a real problem, the save file might have still been
salvageable.

(Yes, visual glitches, in and of themselves, aren't a big deal.  Most
people may not even notice them.  But when they happen unexpectedly,
they can be a symptom of a deeper, far more serious problem. Just like
an assert detecting that some variable isn't the expected value. Maybe
the variable isn't even anything important; maybe it just controls the
color of the title bar or something equally irrelevant. But it could be
a sign that there's been a memory corruption.  It could be a sign that
the program is in the middle of being exploited by a security hack. The
unexpected value in the variable isn't merely an irrelevant thing that
we can safely ignore; it could be circumstantial evidence of something
far more serious.  Continuing to barrel forward in spite of clear
evidence pointing to a problem is utterly foolish.)

Latin's a dead language, as dead as can be; it killed off all the Romans, and
now it's killing me! -- Schoolboy