On Saturday, 1 September 2018 at 21:18:27 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
On 09/01/2018 07:12 AM, Chris wrote:

Hope is usually the last thing to die. But one has to be wise enough to see that sometimes there is nothing one can do. As things are now, for me personally D is no longer an option, because of simple basic things, like autodecode, a flaw that will be there forever, poor support for industry technologies (Android, iOS)

Much as I hate to agree, that IS one thing where I'm actually in the same boat:

My primary current paid project centers around converting some legacy Flash stuff to...well, to NOT Flash obviously. I *want* to use D for this very badly. But I'm not. I'm using Unity3D because:

1. For our use right now: It has ready-to-go out-of-the-box WebAsm support (or is it asm.js? Whatever...I can't keep up with the neverending torrent of rubble-bouncing from the web client world.)

2. For our use later: It has ready-to-go out-of-the-box iOS/Android support (along with just about any other platform we could ever possibly hope to care about).

3. It has all the robust multimedia functionality we need ready-to-go on all platforms (actually, its capabilities are totally overkill for us, but that's not a bad problem to have).

4. C# isn't completely totally horrible.

I will be migrating the server back-end to D, but I *really* wish I could be doing the client-side in D too, even if that meant having to build an entire 2D engine off nothing more than SDL.

Unfortunately, I just don't feel I can trust the D experience to be robust enough on those platforms right now, and I honestly have no idea when or even if it will get there (Maybe I'm wrong on that. I hope I am. But that IS my impression even as the HUUUGE D fan I am.)

"when or even if" I'm in the same situation but I can't wait anymore. Apps are everywhere these days and if you can't provide some sort of app, you're not in a good position. It's the realty of things, it's not a game, for many of us our jobs depend on it.

Btw, why did I get this message yesterday:

"Your message has been saved, and will be posted after being approved by a moderator."

My message hasn't shown up yet as it hasn't been approved yet ;)