On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 at 02:19:20 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 16:07:21 UTC, RhyS wrote:
On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 15:41:48 UTC, Laurent Tréguier wrote:
Yes. It almost sounds like a smooth experience would be a bad thing to have, especially with the classic "you don't need an IDE anyway" speech. Editing experience seems often dismissed as unimportant, when it's one of the first things new users will come across when trying out D. First impressions can matter a lot.

I didn't give a you don't need an IDE speech, and I didn't say a smooth experience was a bad thing.

I know, I know. But it's always the same story, whenever people wonder about D's state in IDE integration, often other people will just say that vim + terminal is enough.

But in my experience a strong reality orientation leads to good things coming out of life and telling the universe it should be something different from what it is is a recipe for misery and suffering, and why would you do that to yourself?

So if you want the world to be different, come up with a plan. It could be I am going to donate X dollars a month to the Foundation to fund IDE development, or if could be figuring out how you can help with the work in whatever way. But just grumbling - I really think that mistakes the nature of the situation, and not to mention human psychology. You can accomplish things with a vision that's thought through and inspires others. Negativity is part of being creative but not if you stop there.

I stated it in an earlier post, I've been working on editor/IDE integration myself because of this. I don't just grumble, although I do like grumbling a lot :)