On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 20:25:21 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Monday, September 10, 2018 1:44:22 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
  [...]

Honestly, that seems like total overkill, and I think that you would have a _very_ hard sell to get much of anyone to try to use four variants of assert, regardless of what they were.

[...]

FWIW I agree that maybe all those is a bit much - would be quite confusing to figure out the nuances between assert/enforce/assume/insist/uphold/allege.

But, I do see the value in adding an assert flavour that [also] aborts in release mode and allows optimizations. And I think the proposed assume is a reasonable name for it. And if people want it to be left out of release builds they can call "debug assume(...)" (compiler is still free to still optimize).

Cheers,
- Ali