On Friday, 14 September 2018 at 09:23:24 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:56:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:41:08 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
On 09/10/2018 11:13 PM, tide wrote:
On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 13:43:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
That's why PC sales keep dropping while mobile sales are now 6-7X that per year:

This shouldn't be misunderstood as such, which I think you as misunderstanding it. The reason mobile sales are so high is because of planned obsolescence and the walled garden that these devices are built around. I've gone through maybe 3-4 phones in the time that I've had my Desktop, and I use my desktop every single day. I don't need to buy a new one cause it runs perfectly fine, there aren't operating system updates that purposely cause the CPU to run slower to "save battery life" when a new device and OS come out. That's not to say it isn't insignificant but the sales numbers are exacerbated.

Right. Basically, "sales stats" should never be misconstrued as "usage stats".

The usage stats are similarly overwhelming, two-thirds of digital time is spent on mobile, more for the young:

Yeah but 90% of the time people spend on mobile is just dicking about. Sending IMs, facebook, point and click games. And thats a huge part of the usage stats, people can now spend more time online wasting time in more situations than ever before.

PCs are generally seen a tool to accomplish tasks, for word processing or a high end gaming thing, audio / video editing, mobile is more entertainment. Not many people are doing what you are by using your mobile as a desktop.

I'm not saying that makes mobile worthless, what I'm saying is that your hypothesis is like saying TV has taken over from typewriters.

Do you realize most Chromebooks use ARM and have recently recorded more sales/usage that Windows in some cases? I several enterprises are adopting use of tablet for on-the-go tasks and administrative work (especially when combined with the mini-keyboards). Things are really shifting to ARM.

Another is some that looks exactly like tablets and either run android or chrome OS. See this slick Pixelbook from Google: https://store.google.com/us/product/google_pixelbook