On Tue, 2018-10-16 at 16:31 +0000, Gerald via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Wish I could see this one, it would be very interesting to hear
> your thoughts on C++ vs D vs Rust in terms of working with GTK.

I do not know if the sessions are recorded.

C++ and gtkmm sort of work but using C++ always seems to involve more pain
than any project is worth. Also gstreamermm isn't as nice as it should be. A
core problem seems to be that gtkmm and gstreamermm are hand coded bindings
not generated from GIR files.

D + GtkD (inc GStreamerD) is really quite nice. The biggest downside is the
documentation presenting all the C examples not D ones, and the lack of non-
trivial examples of use. The biggest problem is really not enough different
applications, and the need for more effort on the documentation and examples.

Rust + gtk-rs + gstreamer-rs is it seems the chosen future for GTK and
GStreamer in their bid to not have to use C. Using it is really quite nice. D
and Rust are very different, both have pluses and minuses,but int he end
choosing either seems fine. That Rust is the chosen tool for gstreamer-rs is a
big choice decider. There is still a documentation and examples problem
analogous to the GtkD one, but it seems more people are using this combination
and the changes and improvements are happening, and quite quickly.

Possibly the single biggest  D / Rust decider is that the gtk-rs people have
created a futures/channels/executor system to make working with an event loop
in a mult-threaded context wonderfully easy and straightforward. The way of
achieving the goal in C++/gtkmm is byzantine, and they way it is done in
D/GtkD is old-fashioned and very low-level.

I have a couple of D/GtkD projects which I'll still go with, but anything
involving GStreamer has to be in Rust.

If I do any new GTK projects they will likely be in Rust – but there is an off
chance they will be in D. What can definitely be said is that no way will I do
them in C++, and C just isn't even an option on the table.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200