On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 21:55:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

The problem, of course, is that they are also charged particles, and the electromagnetic forces that hold the atom in place would be greatly disturbed if two atoms were to occupy the same space simultaneously, leading to a (very fast and very violent) reorganization of nucleii and electrons. What that looks like macroscopically, I can't say exactly, but certainly delicate structures like proteins, DNA, lipid layers, and such would cease to exist, their constituent particles being violently scattered every which way in the course of reorganizing themselves into new structures that would bring the electromagnetic forces back into balance (and that, in all likelihood, won't resemble anything close to their starting molecular structures). Whatever the result may be, I'm pretty certain it would not have good consequences for the biological processes built upon said delicate structures. To say the least. :-D

Even worst than that: conversion to/from E is involved in the process! :-P