Message: 17
   Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:15:58 -0800
   From: "Dr. Howard S. White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:

Like most US Hams.. I am about as confused about the current regulatory
situation as you are...

We constantly have to look over our shoulders to see if the latest digital
mode is legal....yes... we could publish some documentation about the
protocol on a web site to disclose it... and if I were the author of the
protocol.. I might be able to do that...by taking a hour or two or three
from my development time to do that....

But what if someone in Europe writes a new Olivia style protocol... lets
call it FRED....and sends me a copy of FRED as the first US Ham to play with
it... well to be legal ... I would have to figure out the protocols which
would be difficult without source code or source information... do up a web
site and publish the protocols BEFORE I could play with it...  AND lets say
FRED includes Video and Images and FAX and AM and FSK and FM in FRED...Now I
have to read regulation books to see if FRED is legal or not...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html