At 07:53 PM 1/31/06, Danny Douglas wrote:

>I keep waiting for someone to come out with the program for my computers
>sound card, which lets me do DV...
>
>It is no different than SSTV.  When it first came out, it was pretty much
>one company, with their equipment for sale that led the way.

DV is a bit different. Back in the Stone Age of SSTV the first
commercial gear from Robot was built to an open standard and it would
interoperate with the existing base of homebrew systems.

The first generation of commercial DV hardware, the AOR fast modem,
is built upon a proprietary technology that's only available as a
custom chip (a voice codec from Digital Voice Systems).

A software/sound card implementation, and especially a free
implementation, that is capable of interoperation with the AOR fast
modem standard is not just around the corner; it'll probably never happen.

In looking for a software/sound card DV implementation, it's
necessary to consider alternative standards, like WinDRM. Of course
DV with WinDRM is not compatible with AOR DV.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK