At 09:33 AM 2/4/06, jgorman01 wrote:
>1. I don't know why you say US hams cannot experiment on HF unless our
>regs are changed.  We currently have minimal bandwidth regulations.
>Someone is certainly welcome to correct me, but I don't know of any HF
>modem that tries to use 2 tones at 300 baud or higher.  They all use
>multiple tone modems and modulate individual pairs at a substantially
>lower baud rate.  Like 12 tone pairs, each at a rate of 60 baud which
>give an equivalent rate of 720 baud, substantially over the 300 baud
>regulation.

To help avoid the confusion that seems to creep in when talking about
"bauds," for the example given, the state of each of the twelve
binary sub-carriers represents one bit of the symbol being
transmitted. That's one 12-bit symbol that changes state 60 times a
second; the symbol rate is 60 symbols per second while the data rate
is 720 bits per seconds. The rules put a limit on symbol rate that
can be used not the bit rate that can be achieved.

Inter-symbol interference due to delay spread from fading/multipath
makes the restriction to a maximum symbol rate 300 baud a phantom limit at HF.

Using DV as an example, the AOR modem sends a bit stream at a rate of
3200 bits per second using a symbol rate of 50 symbols per second;
the various DRM modes send a comparable speeds with a maximum symbol
rate is 37.5 symbols per seconds.

Olivia (which is m-ary FSK and not multiple sub-carriers) includes a
two tone configuration with symbol rates of 500 or 1000 symbols per
second; the utility  of that at HF is quite dubious.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK