Why avoid the 14080 kc RTTY scared cow frequency? We shouldn't and I say that as a big time RTTY operator! Everyone wants to stake out their own little turf frequencies according to the mode that "they" like to operate. We don't need to avoid use of ALE or MT63 turf frequencies either, because "no one" owns a frequency. The key is listening before you transmit no matter what the mode and frequency. It's just common sense and courtesy and a convention that PACTOR stations violate with impunity.

As far as Olivia what we need is a general consensus as to which submode that we will operate with "initially". PSK operators almost always begin with b/r of 31 and then shift to 63 if they want to, RTTY ops a 45.45 b/r. I know that I will always be able to establish initial contact with a PSK or RTTY operator.

In my personal experience with Olivia 500/8 works pretty good for stateside QSO's when taking QRM, QRN and QSB into account. On DX paths 500/16 seems a pretty good choice. As my personal suggestion let's all start off with those sub modes when calling CQ, then once we make contact we can shift to whatever we want too whether it be 1000/32 or 250/8. It's a bummer to me when I can't answer an Olivia CQ because I can't figure out which sub mode the station is using.

And speaking of which mode is best under poor band conditions? Once again in my personal experience Olivia never out performs PSK31 or MFSK16 and PSK31 never outperforms MFSK16. Consistently MFSK16 wins under poor band conditions of QRM, QRN and QSB both for stateside and DX.

Just my .02.
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
Grid Square EL97AW
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Proof Of God Through Science: http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/audio/newevidence.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com
KN4LF 160 Meter Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org