--- "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Related question:  The softrock receiver has I and Q
> outputs
> to 2 audio inputs for image rejection.  If I build a
> hardware
> image reject filter, can I get away with just using
> I, which saves
> an audio input, and halves the number of sound cards
> needed.
>
> Any other way to accomplish this?

Hardware vs. DSP. Seemingly, for those with a modern
PC, DSP wins, because hardware is simpler, but
bulkier, more labor intensive, and might be more
expensive for a given level of results.

I am assuming, of course, that you have a suitable PC.

Of course, a bunch of passive parts should be cheaper
than a modern PC.

I have worked with on a SSB receiver with a polyphase
phase shift network and you need 56 RC components for
some 80 dB of opposite sideband suppression. Some may
say that 60 dB (or 40 db) is enough, but certainly 80
dB sounds like a REAL radio with a good (Collins ?)
mechanical filter.

The hardware approach also requires some degree of
component matching to achieve the expected results.
For those without a powerful enough computer, it is
the way to go. But using a computer, it is hard to
justify the effort and expense of 56 x N components
for N channels.

I know of no software that does what you want,
nowadays, but it does not mean it is not "doable",
maybe because it has not been widely distributed, or
no capable programmer has felt the need to work on
it...

Good luck,

Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com