Of course the bands aren't dead. Ham's think they are, so they don't
operate, so the bands appear to be dead, so they are dead. It's self
inflicted self fulfilling prophesy. All through the Winter 2005-2006 period
I found 20 meters to be open around the clock to one place or another. My
favorite past time is working long path when most ham's are listening in the
opposite direction or not operating at all. I've work allot of juicy DX on
the digital modes that way with no competition.

I've also worked allot of DX on 15 meters. I've even worked some DX on 12
and 10 meters due TEP and Es propagation.

With the solar flux temporarily above 100 again and near equal daylight in
both hemispheres the bands are in pretty good shape. It's just a matter of
understanding some basic HF propagation theory.

--... ...--,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
Grid Square EL97AW
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PODXS 070 PSK31 Club Member #349
Feld Hell Club Member #FH141

KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com
KN4LF 160 Meter Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bands aren't dead

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "aa0oi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 20 meters digital are open to all of Europe and have been all
day..Get
> them while the gettings good.. what a blast,, can't operate them
fast
> enough!!

Yes, I just worked an ON6 station on 20M at 2359Z, Olivia.  He said
Band had been open all night in Europe.

--... ...--,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA