Michael,

The most simple way was to use a diode and variable capcitor in the
VFO tank circuit connected to the Teletype Keyboard contacts.  Some
noise filtering with RF chokes and capcitor were used to keep the
keying spikes down.  Some used a "Polar Relay" in a 60 millamp "loop"
in turn keying the diode/capacitor in the VFO tank.  One had to use
other hams to advise how far your shift was off and adjust
accordingly.  The standard went from 850 Hz shift to 170 Hz shift,
with the later being easier to achive.

AM was only allowed on two meters and above for "AFSK".  It still may
be that way.  Hams built audio oscillators for operating on two meter
AM and later two meter FM.  When SSB transmitters had good carrier
suppresion, then hams were allowed to use audio for RTTY on HF.

One who was quite active in the old RTTY days was Wayne Green, of 73
magazine.  He and a few other hams went to the FCC to modernize FSK
for hams.  Early "RTTY" was on and off keying, no shift, can you
imagine how good that was, HI.

Take a look at this site: http://www.rtty.com/  Has a lot of info on
RTTY operation.  Look at the "History" quite interesting reading.

I used a Johnson Viking II with Johnson VFO for RTTY back in the 60's.
 Ran the filments on the VFO 24/7 in order to keep the drift down when
I wanted to operate RTTY.