Hello All,

Argue it as you may, the Internet is unreliable on many levels to due
normal loading at those levels and vulnerable to targeted attacks, it
is well documented, for the latest visit: http://www.cert.org/  It is
targeted daily and will be the target in any major conflicts, its
just a fact of the world in which we live.

The Amateur Radio Service (ARS) is about "RADIO", yes we can tie into
the Internet, its been done in various  for years in countries where
it is legal to do so, however its only a bridge, its not the "RADIO
to RADIO" communications system that the ARS requires regardless of
what system one wants to make mention. Making use of the Internet for
a delivery medium as part of the system is smart, for when its
working it is fast, but we can not rely on it as the delivery system.
The ARS requires its own "Radio to Radio HF e-mail system", wether it
be based on STANAG 5066 or other, be it proven or new technology
developed by the ARS for the ARS, it does not matter, what matter's
is making it happen.

Also, the Amateur Radio Service is a World Wide Service, where many
languages are spoken, digital communications in many ways overcomes
those language barriers, I do not subscribe to "SSB in English" and
English is the only language that I speak fluently, if I in someone's
opinion I am even fluent in English.

Looking at STANAG 5066 as it does exist and provides all that the
Internet provides if one wanted to implement and take advantage of
all that, sophisticated high MIL-STD-188-110x modem core's now exist
on the PC Sound Device Modem (PCSDM) a.k.a. Sound Card and are being
used daily Commercially, by various Governments and some Militaries
as well as by Amateur's (PC-ALE) in parts of the world were it is
legal (not under present FCC Rules) and by the U.S. MARS program
(MARS-ALE) as well. The first Commercial PCSDM based STANAG 5066
MIL-STD-188-110 offering to go public is from SkySweeper Technology,
it will not be the last. The PCSDM has been in use for SIGINT tools
for years now for decoding sophisticated digital waveforms, the CPU
speed and OS reliable has arrived where the use of the PCSDM for
two-way communications with this level of modem and sophisticated
waveform has arrived.

Here in the U.S. FCC Part 97 stands in the way of progress on these
technical fronts at present as we need robust waveforms and speed, we
need 3Khz channels (the big boys use 2ALE and 4ALE 3khz channels for
their 19kb+ raw speed) to get somewhere in the range of 2400 to
9600bps raw data rate speed. I really do NOT believe that we need
more than HF e-mail and file attachments, we do not need to be using
HTML, which means if all we can achieve is 2400bps raw speed, that
will be fine, its fast, I use it daily in MARS with FS-1052 DLP in
both BRD, ARQ and FTP via MARS-ALE as the tool. The standard
MIL-STD-188-110 serial tone modem calls for an 1800hz PSK carrier and
2400bps symbol rate which equates to 300-3300hz or 3Khz BW, as most
MARS members do not have 3khz IF filtering, I added both optional PSK
carrier selection and symbol rate selection, thus we can go from a
2khz BW to a full 3Khz BW, we made the selection of 1200hz PSK
carrier and 1600bps symbol rate our MARS-to-MARS standard for that
2Khz BW, which is 200-2200hz, all radios filtering handles this, but
the symbol rate still exceeds FCC Part 97 symbol rate by nearly 2:1
at present. The choices we have with all this at 2, 2.25, 2.5Khz BW
and our raw data rate selections up to 2400bps ( our adaptive data
rates are 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200 and 2400bps along with Short/Long
Interleave selection ) places the use of FS-1052 DLP using the ARQ
protocol in the same basic raw speed as PACTOR III and via the PCSDM,
just compare it to 5 speeds of PACTOR III. If the FCC would bump the
symbol rate to double, then the 1600bps symbol rate would then be legal.

In comparing MT-63 to FS-1052 DLP BRD on the MIL-STD-188-110 modem vs
the MT-63 FSK modem, the symbol rate is lower, the BW is kept at 2Khz
max, the data rate is kept at 200 baud or 600bps, the FEC used is
very similar to that or BRD, MT-63 could be beefed up with an
Adaptive ARQ protocol and transport layer along with adaptive data
rates and become the ARQ protocol for the ARS service, as a matter of
fact we are looking at doing just this with MARS-ALE.

Sincerely,

/s/ Steve, N2CKH/ARR2EY