Hi Mark,

Welcome to the world of ALE acty.

DBM is the killer 8FSK protocol from the standard. Its raw speed is
125 baud but deeply interleaved which has it neck and neck with its
kissing cousin GTOR for throughput. The BRD (FEC) selection is very
robust and the ARQ is just great. It supports binary files with the
FTP selection, although you really don't want to be sending files
that are to big, keeping them under 10k during good channel
conditions would be best as to reasonable transfer time.

DBM and GTOR are my two most favorite FSK ARQ protocols and DBM BRD
and MT-63 are my two most favorite FSK FEC protocols. I hope to add
MARS/MT-63 ARQ to the other list in time.

In MARS-ALE we actively support external TNC/Modems for use after the
ALE link and I may also add passive support in the same vein as
hardware ALE radios so that a third party program such as Airmail
could make use of the TNC/Modem after the ALE link whereas the
MARS-ALE remains in the loop for the modem activity regarding the ALE
link time out timer for hand off. In PC-ALE G4GUO took the approach
of launching a child process via a DOS Batch file after the ALE link
for the hold off to run the third party tool and revert back to ALE
and its timer upon termination of the third party tool. Thus its a
bit more universal for Ham use, using that approach you could launch
MixW or MultiPSK or whatever and PC-ALE just sits there in a linked
state until you terminate that child process.

We also plan to add am additional PC Sound Device Modem (PCSDM) class
to MARS-ALE that will support the planned MT63, GTOR and PACTOR
I  protocols and whatever else may be added. The ALE standard
requires that the ALE controller/modem is always listing for ALE
signals, this updates the LQA database of stations (that how you dial
a station and automatically achieve a link the best channel) among
other things and there is only such you can do on one modem at the
same time, as it is now, the PC-ALE/MARS-ALE FSK/PSK modems can both
be active at the same time using the same PCSDM so you see why a 2nd
PCSDM will be brought into play. The default system sound device used
for system sounds etc (we recommend that is not be used as a PCSDM)
will in the future support all the ALERT and ALARM sounds as well as
the coming Vocoder output and input for the digital voice modes to be
supported after an ALE link. At this time I am not sure what G4GUO is
planning for PC-ALE in this regard. However under current FCC Part 97
Rules, ALE can be used in the digital sub bands for two-way digital
data comm and in the Voice sub bands for SELCAL (and more but not
digital data comm) and of course Digital Voice contacts after an ALE
link, so time will tell. In MARS all of our digital data comm and
Voice comm are on the same channels, at any moment we may switch
between Voice and Data and back again, it is the nature of MARS net operations.

P.S. - Don't know if you have any SWL/Utility station interest at
all, but PC-ALE makes for a great ALE SIGINT tool for trolling the HF
spectrum for interesting monitoring, HF was pretty dead for years
from the mid 80's to mid 90's when the moved to Satellite took place,
but the entire world is back on HF now due to the cost savings and
reliability of access advantages and the ALE systems. I keep a
TCI-8174 receiver on-line 24/7 as my ALE vacum cleaner, its a fun
side SWL pursuit when you just can't find any HF/6m DX of interest or
you just want do get away from Ham radio for a while.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH