--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hola Jose,
>
> I think that Paul, K9PS attempted to do this at one
> time, but was not
> able to finish it. He has developed ARQ criteria
> that was the used to
> help develop PSKmail. I thought that MT-63 could
> handle multi-path quite
> well, but I still prefer MFSK16 for difficult
> conditions.

I agree....MT63 flies on 20...but gets nailed to the
ground on 40, simply does not get thru. I believe the
signalling rate is too high for the lower bands.

Olivia works really well, better than MFSK16.

Something that should not be forgotten is that Pactor
II/III also uses FEC as convolutional encoding and
maximum likelihood (Viterbi) decoding. And it DOES
work, if you can recover a frame from errors, in spite
of the FEC overhead, is still more efficient than
repeating the whole frame, the usual behavior in
traditional packet.

Nevertheless, ARQ is necessary to insure error free
reception. If the BER is not good enough, simply
disconnect the link.

Maybe only one modulation scheme (Layer One stuff) is
not good enough for all situations, and different
bands or propagation conditions may require different
solutions. SCS boxes do it with different levels of
PSK (BPSK, QPSK, 8PSK) and the number of carriers,
from 2 to 16, and it does work. Even when you do not
make a carbon copy, those ideas DO WORK.

> While I can understand the reason for moving most of
> the messaging to
> the internet due to the congestion we would
> otherwise have with HF
> forwarding. We still need some kind of HF forwarding
> for emergency use
> when other systems are not operational. It seems to
> me that it must have
> a full character set.

Certainly, and not only for emergencies. HF radio may
not be that speedy, but certainly has more coverage
than Internet...it requires no wires.

> And in order to insure that such systems are in
> place at all times for
> the inevitable emergency, it also has to have some
> kind of practical use
> or it won't be ready when you need it the most.

Certainly.

And something else. In packet I found a "esprit de
corps" among hams that I find absent from other
digital communications media.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com