>My uncle, Charles Sumner Williams (author of Introduction to the Optical
 >Transfer Function), who taught radio at Scott Field during WWII and
retired from
 >TI said that the problem with "computer" signal detection (we were
discussing
 >CW) was trying to duplicate with a computer what the human brain could
do was
 >difficult. However, once you succeeds, the computer is likely to be
able to do
 >the job better.

Walt, part of what your Uncle was explaining is Heuristics ie.
"In computer science <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science>, a
*heuristic* is a technique designed to solve a problem that ignores
whether the solution can be proven to be correct, but which usually
produces a good solution or solves a simpler problem that contains or
intersects with the solution of the more complex problem." -- wikipedia.org
Until we can introduct a heuristic characterstic to an SDR, the results
will be limited.

73... Jon W1MNK

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional