KV9U wrote:
> "Nevertheless, our Part 97 rules do not now authorize amateur stations
> to transmit both image and data emission types on any HF frequency
> segments,"
>

> I am probably misunderstanding something, but I had thought that we
> could transmit both image and data and voice throughout the 160 meter
> band. It is not necessarily meeting the band plans, but I had thought
> the FCC rules permitted it.

160 meters is MF, not HF.

> Hopefully, others will have a lot more understanding than I have on what
> it is they are permitting on the "data" portions of the bands which to
> me means anything that is not the phone section. If I understand it,
> they will allow both analog and digital image in the non-phone areas,
> but only if they are narrow bandwith or under 500 Hz?

Correct. Else the digital bands could be filled with wide SSTV, leaving
no room for RTTY, PSK31 and the like. Just look at the havoc that
2KC-wide Pactor 3 signals are wreaking already. Despite the paranoid
rants posted earlier, the intent of this rule change, as I understand
it, is merely to allow US hams to use the analog image feature of MFSK16
(which is no wider than the digital text mode, just 316 Hz); to solidify
the legal status of Feldhell, considered by some interpretations to be
an image mode, either analog or digital depending on how you look at it;
and permit future experimentation with similar modes.

-Joe, KD8ATU

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: