  From: KV9U
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 02:36 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] 1000 Hz Olivia under USA new rules ?

  Joe,

  Your explanation may explain what the FCC meant when they wrote:

  "To accommodate the concern raised by ARRL, however, we will
  revise our rules to clarify that the 500 Hz limitation applies only to
  the emission types we are
  adding to the definition of data when transmitted on amateur service
  frequencies below 30 MHz.
  By amending the rule in this manner, the 500 bandwidth limitation will
  not apply to other data
  emission types or amateur service bands in which a higher symbol rate or
  bandwidth currently is
  permitted."

  Even though they are actually "C" or FAX modes, the FCC's decision makes
  the following into "data" modes:

  A1C = DSB AM digital FAX with no subcarrier
  F1C = FM FAX digital modulation with no subcarrier (MFSK)
  F2C = FM digital FAX with subcarrier
  J2C = Digital FAX with subcarrier
  J3C = Analog FAX from SSB transmitter

  and then add to that, the regular "data" of J2D.

  So it would not necessarily be text modes per se, but whether the ITU
  emission classification and/or the FCC considers as "data."

  It may be that a wide shift RTTY would still be legal since it appears
  that they did not change that part of the rules.

  The critical issue is the type of information to be transmitted and
  whether it is data or machine readable telegraphy.

  While the following modes are data (J2D)

  Pactor 3 = 2K20J2D
  Clover 3 = 2K0HJ2DEN (but can also be considered BEN so that complicates
  things)
  Q15X25 = 2K00J2D

  PSK, MFSK, possibly Olivia (mostly MFSK), Domino, perhaps MT-63 are J2B
  modes and not J2D? I still am unable to just know this by looking at the
  information and I have to look at other definitive sources for
  delineating the ITU classification.

  I would expect that we will be able to get some help from ARRL HQ on
  this since they could publish a list of modes along with their
  classifications. That would help a great deal.