Leigh L Klotz, Jr. wrote:
> This is an interesting point of view, to take it from an economic and
> performance tradeoff.  If I might ask (if this threa continues), would
> you all mind posting your rig and antenna systems as well? It would be
> interesting to see if there is a correlation between OS choice and rig
> choice.  Homebrewers and Linux, or IC7800 and Windows, etc.
> 73,
> Leigh/WA5ZNU

Interesting idea...

Rig: currently IC-718 with TCXO, purchased in February 06 to replace my
TS-430S which was purchased new in 1982. :)

Computer: P4 3.4 GHz purchased Dec 2004 to replace my old Asus T2P4
motherboard which was running a K6/2 at 233 MHz (which replaced the
original K5 processor I had in it)

OS: Fedora Core 3 (the K6/2 runs Red Hat 6.2)  Crossover version 4.2
to support MS-Office 2000.

Antennas: Inverted Vees and Dipoles that will cover 160-10 with
a Heath roller-inductor tuner, and tuner built from an old ARC-5 to
cover 160m.  I only rarely venture above 60m anyway, and do a lot
more tinkering and listening than I ever do transmitting.

Soundcard interface and CI-V interface - homebrew designed and built.

I probably don't fit the description of either a typical ham or a
typical computer user.

- ps