KV9U wrote:
> 1.This is a bit off topic, but I have often wondered why some windows
> programs require Windows Registries and some work completely without
> this. What causes a software author to cross the line that requires
> those registry entries and all the complications that go with it?
>
> 2. USB pens can be a lifesaver. A year ago we needed a particular
> software program to run for Field Day and although I had the program on
> my computer, we needed to put it on some other ones and of course no
> more floppy drives. USB pen to the rescue. Had never used one before.
>
> 3. Speaking of OS and USB pens, this may be one of those times to
> consider using one of the Linux distributions that has been specifically
> designed for this kind of media. The amateur radio software quantity and
> quality seems to finally be getting better on Linux although it still
> has a long way to catch up to MS OS software.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>
> Dave Bernstein wrote:
>
>> Bob did not suggest a docking station, Sal, he suggested a second
>> hard drive. I have used his recommended solution with my IBM T42P
>> laptop, and it works extremely well; one can swap "identities" in the
>> time required to terminate Windows and reboot; the physical drive
>> swap takes a few seconds.
>>
>> With respect to your claim that "The USB PEN drive will work on
>> almost every computer provided that the programs were correctly
>> installed", I suggest that you (carefully) open the Windows Registry
>> editor and examine the Software sections of HKCU and HKLM -- you'll
>> find that DX Atlas, DXLab, Ham Radio Deluxe, LotW, and QRZ all
>> maintain settings there. Other popular digital mode applications may
>> as well -- I don't have Digipan, MixW, or MultiPSK currently
>> installed on this PC, and my examination was cursory. There is no way
>> to "properly install" any of DX Atlas, DXLab, Ham Radio Deluxe, LotW,
>> or the QRZ CDROM callbook in a way that makes them pen-drive portable.
>>
>> There are web pages that list pen-drive portable applications, e.g.
>>
>> http://pendriveapps.com/
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/369/656
>>
>> but I've found no mention of digital mode amateur radio applications
>> so far. Establishing such a list would be helpful, but I suggest that
>> an application only be added after
>>
>> 1. its author asserts that the application is pen-drive portable
>>
>> 2. someone actually tests the application in a pen-drive portable
>> configuration
>>
>> It would also be useful to compare performance in a pen-drive
>> configuration vs. a hard-drive configuration.
>>
>>     73,
>>
>>         Dave, AA6YQ

I use Puppy Linux on a USB stick as a emergency data recovery OS from a
failed system and it works great as a general purpose OS, I also use it
when I travel to deal with on-line banking, I can use anyones PC and not
leave anything on their system.

It has Open office, mail setup, and anything else I need,  so my stick
makes anyone elses' machine have all my tools without making any changes
to their PC.

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"  Don Seglio Batuna