If you place different data on either sideband, its ISB which is illegal or if
not now, may be in the near future.

However, if detecting either sideband independently does not produce separate
data streams, then its not ISB.

DSB would only double the information of one sideband so you would want to use
the other sideband for more data.

The question you have to answer is which is better...doubling, being redundant
as with interleaving or sending characters twice or obtaining a greater bit
rate
or raw throughput.

Another consideration is what would the bandwidth be with DSB where two 350 Hz
PSK modes were sent?  The bandwidth would be 770+ Hz.

I think that you would still need a raised cos or filter on the transmit tones
as well as a brickwall filter on the received signal.

Noticed I said think because I haven't really had time to totally digest the
use
of DSB but I kinda like the approach.  A 100 watt PEP DSB transmitter is sooooo
easy to build.  Using the FCC-2 oscillator as described in the Feb. QST, and a
low level diode balanced modulator and several stages of amplication, you could
easily build a 100 watt PEP (50 watts per sideband) transmitter.  But the
problem is finding an ISB receiver which you would need.   Perhaps a direct
conversion receiver with a Q/I (?) detector and DSP brickwall filter would work.

Walt/K5YFW