  From: Andrew O'Brien
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:25 PM
  Subject: [digitalradio] FSK versus AFSK in BARTG ??????

  After several years of doing RTTY via AFSK, I thought I would use the
  BARTG RTTY contest this weekend to practice my FSK "skills" with the
  new radio.

  I was surprised that I was not being heard so well. I know the band
  is fairly poor but stations that I could hear fairly well would not
  respond to me, they often called CQ CQ after I called them. My
  antenna situation is not the best but I am used to being heard after a
  few tries. I did work some stations but much less than I am used to,
  I tried 40, 80 and 20M.

  Tonight, I tried again...just trying a few east coast stations, none
  were running pile-ups. Same result. many endlessly calling CQ and
  apparently not hearing my 100 watts of FSK.

  So, I switched to sound card AFSK and gave a call, first attempt the
  station came back to me. Another station then answered me on the
  second attempt. I switched back to FSK on the same band and antenna
  and very few responded.

  I'm new to FSK operations, is there something fundamental that I am
  missing? I am making sure I am transmitting on the same freq as I am
  receiving. I have made sure I have high tone selected properly. I
  set FSK for 100 watts with moderate amount of ALC showing. I set AFSK
  for 70 watts and NO ALC.

  It may still be just band conditions but I am wondering...

  --
  Andy K3UK
  Skype Me : callto://andyobrien73