Andrew O'Brien wrote:
> I'm getting many public and private emails from around the world about
> JT65A.  Some seem to think I'm involved with the software and how it
> was to be used for HF.  I'm no expert and have only about 40% of the
> software mastered at the moment. I have no more clue about HF
> applications than anyone else, other than I may have been somewhat
> responsible for getting the mode used more on HF.
>
> Keeping in mind  that I am a total rookie,  I thought I would attempt
> to explain the very basics for HF use  and respond to some of the many
> emails I received today.
>
> JT65A is a mode within the WSJT software and , as Chris explained
> earlier today, is an MFSK type of signal.  The software was designed
> for the very critical aspects of EME and meteor scatter applications.
> An essential element of EME and Meteor work is weak signal detection
> and careful timing of who is transmitting and who is receiving.
> Another aspect is that a series of brief messages are transmitted in a
> designated order, these essentially meet the accepted requirements for
> a valid contact.  These is usually the exchange of call sign, grid
> square, and some confirmation of received signals.  This would be the
> equivalent of perhaps a PSK31 contact where the accepted protocol was
> agreed that a valid QSO needed to include : Call sign, QTH, RST, and
> acknowledgement that the other station received the sent information.
>
> Somebody suddenly started using JT65A on HF about 2 weeks ago, and us
> JT65A ignorant hams simply detected a unknown mode on 20M.  My only
> involvement was to obtain the software when someone suggested it might
> be JT65A and I confirmed the mystery signals were indeed JT65A.  After
> I mentioned it here and had a "QSO",  a dozen or so hams  jumped on
> the mode , spread the word to others, and the HF applications appear
> to have excited many hams.  I have been amazed by the emails received
> today from different parts of the world all indicated their first HF
> JT65A QSO or reception.
>
> Early today, someone asked me just what can be done with this mode, is
> it a legitimate communication application.  Again, I'm no expert, but
> I'll answer that with a big  Y E S  .You can do whatever you like with
> it , you could in fact have keyboard chats if you wanted to.  The
> "standard" messages can be changed and you could type in " how's the
> weather at your QTH", if you wanted to.  It was not designed for this
> , but you can do it.  Remember, it was not designed for HF work at
> all, so already someone has broken the mold .  You can do likewise and
> use it in anyway you see fit (within your Government's regulations).
>
> It is no different than Olivia, Hell, ALE, or MT63, in that it just
> another mode.  The user decides how it is best used.  The one major
> difference is that the software's default setting is that your typical
> transmission lasts about 48 seconds and then you pause for 72 seconds
> [...]

As many may know, JT65 was originally written by K1JT(?).
A paper on JT65 can be seen at http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/JT65.pdf and
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_User_600.pdf

As far as I can tell, there is a very large use of FEC which of course cuts
down
on the amount of user data throughput.  Additionally, with 65 tones, I believe
that the signal is wider than 500 Hz.  Hi Hi.

"JT65A is generally used on 50 MHz."  Thus JT65A on 6M is more like HF
propagation...ot at least that on 14MHz and above.

It would be wonderful if we could get K1JT to comment on the list for us.

For those who are interested in reasons for wider bandwidths on HF, here is
what
K1JT says, reg. URL http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/UpdateHistory.txt

    "1. In earlier versions the vertically-scrolling JT65 waterfall always
    displayed the frequency range 500-2500 Hz.  The range has now been
    optionally expanded and made more flexible.  By toggling a button
    labeled "BW" at the top of the SpecJT window you can change the
    displayed bandwidth to 4 kHz.  In addition, you can offset the
    displayed region in 100 Hz steps by using buttons labeled "<" and
    ">", and you can return the range to its default alignment with a
    button labeled "|".

    This new feature provides two significant advantages.  If your
    receiver provides a bandwidth greater than 2 kHz in USB mode, you
    can now display up to 4 kHz instantaneously (and with offsets, a
    total range of 5 kHz).  The Kenwood TS-2000, for example, provides
    a 5 kHz bandwidth.  The expanded range will make it easier to find
    other stations to work -- e.g. in contests, and at 1296 MHz where
    Doppler shifts are relatively large.  In addition, extending the
    displayed spectrum to frequencies below 500 Hz is useful if you are
    using WSJT as a display tool when operating on CW."

Does anyone know the actual transmit bandwidth of J65A?  It would appear to be
about 2 KHz wide.

The bottom line is that Joe Taylor, K1JT, has provided some interesting code
based I suppose in part on KA9Q's work, and perhaps that of Dr. Clark, which
combined with the corporate knowledge of this group might produce a very robust
mode with the possibility of much highere throughput.  However, I believe that
new mode based on this or similar work will be considerbly wider than 500 KHz
bandwidth.

73,

Walt/K5YFW