Hi Bob,

I will try to explain this in my "Norwegian-English" way.

"Should I normally listen with it unchecked to search the larger
subband?". Get in mind that I am a complete bozo, but my experience is
that when the frequency is crowded and the subband is to large only the
"big guns" is coming through . In Europe we have some hams using more
the 100W in this "weak power" mode, and they are drowning hams outside
EU.  So the conclusion is, I prefer a smaller subband . I set the TOL to
100 Hz, and I am never right on 14.076 but always some few Hz away. I
will explain why later.

"If it is unchecked, does the green bar in SpecJT make any difference?"
I don't think so. The way I understand this is that  the program search
the green bar to see if it can find a signal regardless if the freeze is
unchecked or not. If it is unchecked it has -+ 600 Hz to scan.

"Does clicking somewhere in SpecJT or the other graph actually set the
real transmit frequency? " This is an easy one. The answer is "no". The
clicking only affect your receiving. It is your VFO that set your
transmit frequency. The sync tone will be at 1270.5 Hz . in SpecTJ. You
can set this to zero by choosing "JT65 DF axis" in the SpecTJ menu . I
(almost) always pick a frequency a few Hz away from the main "14.076".
In that way it is easier to find me in the crowd.

I hope this was understandable ;)

Here is an "quick and dirty" guide to capture LA5VNA this afternoon:

Set the VFO on 14.075,700, set the TOL at 50Hz, and start listen after
me at 11:00 UTC. If the frequency is free I will start calling exact
11:00 ( "Tx first" checked ) .

Hope to see you there Bob.

73 de LA5VNA Steinar

.