Here is a related idea: We have seen with JT65a that sometimes when we
think the band is closed, it is just very poor instead.  W1AW, which one
can sometimes hear all lone on the high bands (due to  its power and
antennas) shows us this as well.  I..e., what we assume is no
communications may in fact be just very noisy.

Shannon tells us there is no limit to the S/N we can tolerate if we
reduce the data rate.

So there may be a place as well for a repeater that receives lower-power
stations slowly and retransmits them as higher power faster, even though
it it couldn't then do the clever interleave that Bonnie proposes for
other situations.

This idea would be somewhat like VHF FM repeaters, as they use the
limiting feature of FM to discriminate a noise-free low-power signal and
then retransmit.  Instead, it would decode a low baud rate, ECC'd signal
to obtain a noiseless signal to re-encode and retransmit.