Hello Rick,

>I had a contact with a local ham a few months ago using the ARQ FAE mode
>and although it was not robust enough to work well with an 8 pm local
It's curious as this mode can go down to a lowest S/N of about - 6.5 dB (- 8.5
dB with many repetitions) thanks to a "soft decision" Memory Arq, so not very
far from PSK31.

It was perhaps a frequency shift. Normally, in ALE, you must be better that
around +/- 10 Hz from the nominal frequency.

73
Patrick