Digital ATS3 - MFSK modes implemented

Hi gang.

I implemented MFSK remote modulation into ATS-3a firmware. I also extended
PocketDigi to make use of it. The little transceiver in Altoids tin is now able
to send a lot of digital modes if commanded by PocketDigi, namely:

CW, BPSK31, BPSK63, QPSK31, RTTY, MFSK16, Olivia, Contestia, RTTYM

Additionally it is possible to set frequency from PocketDigi.

Only CW, RTTY and MFSK16 are transmitted according to their definition. BPSK31
and BPSK63 signals are shaped by CW envelope, not by raised cosine, which makes
them wider than necessary. Nobody complained yet if I transmit at QRP levels.
QPSK31 signal shaped by CW envelope is very difficult to decode. Pawel Jalocha
designed a special envelope for Olivia and modes derived from it - Contestia
and RTTYM, which shall minimize intersymbol interference. ATS-3 is only able to
do hard MFSK without shaping. According to my experiments it degrades reception
only slightly. Although DominoEX or ALE modes are not implemented in PocketDigi
yet, they both may be modulated on ATS-3 without additional firmware changes.

I tried to cheat Throb/ThrobX decoder by sending the tone pairs not parallel,
but one after other. It really did not work. MultiPSK only decoded 1 Throb per
second signal, when it was strong enough. But it was fun anyway.

I tested, how the MFSK decoders in PocketDigi would cope with the narrow ladder
filter in ATS-3. The filter is wide enough for PSK or RTTY. 250Hz wide MFSK
modes (MFSK16, Olivia 4/250 and 8/250) work, but tuning is a bit difficult. The
wider Olivia modes are not readable on ATS3, although the transceiver is able
to transmit them. One may do cross mode QSOs,  transmit wide MFSK to let the
other side exploit higher coding gain, but to receive narrow band mode.

One could make the ATS-3a IF filter wider by choosing lower capacities and
matching its lower impedance. I would like to try tuning the filter by MW
varicaps like in the Elecraft RIGs. The finals of ATS-3 may be easily blown by
MFSK modes. The transeiver shall be powered from low voltage to keep output
power low or some heat sink has to be added, or preferably both.

Elecraft KX1 with its variable IF filter and solid final seems to be a good
target for digitalization. It is a pitty that Elecraft keeps its firmware
closed source.

My next step is to simplify the external interface. I plan to substitute the
Bell 202 demodulator by a simple op amp slicer and to change modulation from
AFSK to Manchester. I hope to squeeze the interface into the main ATS-3 Altoids
tin. I am looking forward to do some RTTY QSOs with the upgraded RIG.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK