Also, in the help department, is there anyone who has had success in
getting an ICOM 756 Pro 2 working through rig control on the
fldigi/PSKMail programs?

I tried a few months ago when I was using Linux for a while on one of my
computers, but now I recall never actually getting this particular model
to work with either RigCAT or Hamlib.

I don't know when you are supposed to use one over the other, but when I
attempt to run it under RigCAT, it defaults to an ICOM 746 Pro with no
functions working. When I try to set it up under Hamlib, as an ICOM 756
Pro 2 using a baud rate of 19200, it shows an error on the bottom "Get
Mode: Hamlib getMode error," so it does not seem to be able to
communicate with the rig.

I am using the Radio Shack USB to COM serial port adapter and in Windows
it works flawlessly with many programs over the years and defaults to
COM 4. I am entering /dev/ttyUSB3 in the Device box which should match
this virtual COM port location. I have tried many others, but no luck
either.