  From: Vojtech Bubnik
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:49 PM
  Subject: [digitalradio] Re: The decline of Olivia and DominoEX

  Hello Patrick.

  Thanks for your explanation.

  Do I understand your S/N figures well?

  Let's say I am using a 100 watts transceiver.
  If transmitting
  > * MT63 à 10 bauds: - 5 dB and 100 wpm, 1000 Hz bandwidth, crest
  factor 0.1
  then I will be actually able to send energy equivalent only to 10
  watts CW.

  If transmitting
  > * Contestia "16-1K": "Fast" 16 tones, bandwidth=1000 Hz, speed=62.5
  bauds, 78.2 wpm, lowest S/N =-9 dB, crest factor 0.76
  then I will be actually able to send energy equivalent to 76 watts CW.

  Then I am losing another 10 * log10(76/10) = 8.8dB and I may say, that
  with the same 100W transceiver MT63 will perform 12.8dB worse at 100
  wpm than Contestia at 78.2 wpm? It sounds pretty bad for MT63.

  I think there is another issue with ODFM of high number of tones. It
  is highly sensitive to linearity of the whole transmitting and
  receiving chain. If not linear, the tones will mix together, which
  will further decrease sensitivity.

  In my opinion, MT63 was a useful experiment, that has shown a dead way.

  73, Vojtech OK1IAK

  --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Lindecker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  wrote:

  > Hello Votjech,
  >
  > Yes you are right the crest factor in MT63 is very low (mean power/
  crest power = 0.1 (OFDM general problem) for 0.76 in Olivia...

  > Other problems: due to the big number of carriers (64) you need a
  good calibration of the sound card. Otherwise, you decode nothing.
  > The minimum S/N is not very good either and the latency time is big.
  >
  > If Olivia is too slow, another better option is to transmit in
  Contestia. For about S/N, it is only about 1 dB under Olivia but the
  speed is twice.