>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>snip<

However, what is the  REAL difference between sending your callsign a
few times via ALE , versus picking up the Mic and asking "is this
frequency in use" ?

>>>There are two such differences:

1. We never pick up the Mic and ask "is this frequency in use?" if we
can hear that its already in use.

2. If the frequency seems clear and we pick up the Mic and ask "is
this frequency in use?" and hear a positive response, we QSY.

>>>I wonder if ALE soundings consisted of "QRL?  QRL ? de K3UK  K3UK
K3UK K "  and then stopped , would we object?

>>>Yes, unless the ALE station were capable of decoding and
respecting a positive response.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ