>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Demetre SV1UY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I don't understand why all this bashing about illegal and commercial
about Winlink2000. I wonder is it jealousy? Looks like it. Also I
don't understand why a radio ham should not get/send e-mail via his
radio! Is it illegal too? How can you expect anyone to participate in
an emergency situation if he doesn't know how to operate his rig? He
is not going to be enlightened by the holy spirit when the need
arises. He needs to operate every day, more or less, in order to be
proficient at it.

>>>There are some who claim that email messages should not be
conveyed by amateurs because doing so would compete with commerical
operations, but the same could be said of any QSO. I don't believe
there's any merit to this claim.

>>>The allegation that WinLink 2000 is illegal, at least in the US,
is based on the fact that its PMBOs transmit without first verifying
that their frequency is not in use. This is a clear violation of
97.101(d), which states "No amateur operator shall willfully or
maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio
communication or signal." A PMBO's transmission is not malicious, but
its definitely willful.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ