--- Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I understand the basics of using a balun, but have a
> question about the
> specifics. Using a dipole, what would be the
> difference between using a
> 4:1 balun compared to a 6:1 balun? Which would I
> choose, and why would
> I choose it? Planning on feeding the dipole direct
> from the tuner in my
> IC-746 (non-Pro), if that makes a difference.
>
> Thanks!
> Dave
> KB3MOW

Not to be too smart about it, but I don't think you
have any understanding at all about a balun.

Normally a dipole is around 70 ohms impedance.  It may
be somewhat lower or higher depending on the height
above ground so a 50 ohm coax will usually make a good
match to it near the resonate frequency.  Most of the
time a balun on a dipole is just a waste of material.

If you put a 4:1 balun at the center of a dipole you
get about a 4 to 1 mismatch and the 6:1 balun will be
even worse.  I doube that your internal tuner would
even tune if the 4:1 or especially the 6:1 balun is
used.   Most internal tuners will not match much over
a 3:1 swr and the 4:1 will probably cuse that much.

A 1:1 balun can be used with a dipole to help reduce
radiation from the feedline if needed or wanted.

The 4:1 or 6:1 baluns are used with antennas that do
not come close to 50 to 70 ohms.  This could be an off
center fed antenna where the impedance is around 300
ohms.