I thought about the same. On pactor, the doppler perturbation is 31/100
of the signalling rate, thus, results less affected, even without taking
into account the FEC and QRQ strenghts that Pactor also packs along.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

Vojtech Bubnik wrote:

>> PSK31 failed, bad copy even under good SNR, with 3 ms multipath and
> 10 Hz
>> Doppler. It did not do well with 2 ms multipath and 1 Hz Doppler.
>>
>> Since Pactor uses PSK I wondered if it would similarly fail as shown
> by the
>> PSK31 results. I suspect that it handles Doppler better through
> frequency
>> tracking algorithms.
>
> PSK31 bandwidth is much lower than of PSK100 that Pactor 2/3 utilizes.
> PSK100 will lock to a signal 100/31 times far mistuned than PSK31.
>
> Symbol length of PSK31 is 32msec, symbol length of PSK100 is 10msec. I
> would say that PSK31 will be oblivious to 2ms multipath, but I suppose
> the phase difference of both reflections will not be stable, causing
> phase modulation of the summed multipath signal, which PSK100 with
> convolutional code will be able to handle.
>
> 73, Vojtech OK1IAK

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu