What was it that caused Packet networks in the United States to decline over
the course of a decade that saw astounding growth and advancement of the
Packet network in Europe?  ( 19.2 access, 78.2 fulldup backbone )

Was it - the internet?   -  Well, yes and no.  Remember that Europeans had
cable access to the internet long before we ever got past dialup here in the
US, and it had no negative affect there at all.

What was different here in the US that caused us to regress and degenerate
while the Europeans moved ahead and progressed?

Well,  the internet was involved allright, but only as a tool. - Not as a
first cause.

In the late 80's, I attended a Packet get together in Austin, Texas, hosted
by the Texas Packet Radio Society. Later I would edit TPRS's "Quarterly
Report" - But I was new to TPRS at that point and Greg Jones WD5IVD had no
idea who I was.

I got to Austin a day early so I could tour the state capital. I remembered
somebody mentioning an early get-together the night before the conference at
a German-style beer hall ( Beer and sausage - Mmmmmm ) there in Austin.

( Note:  The "Dallas group takeover" of TAPR in the early 90's by the TPRS
crew included Greg Jones WD5IVD and most of the TPRS BoD. Jones would later
go on to be president of TAPR. )

So I walked into the outdoor beer hall, looked around and found a group who
were obviously hams. Almost everybody else there were college kids, so the
hams stood out.

I sat down and said howdy, but Greg was talking so I didn't get to go much
past " Hi, I'm Charles, N5PVL".

Greg was talking about what a shame it was that hams were too stupid to go
for amateur tcpip, and how retarded anybody who was involved in Packet
networking must be, in light of the internet.

I was not used to hearing such a cynical attitude about the great majority
of amateurs. - I decided to find out more, so I smiled and nodded at the
right times and places, joining the laughter about how stupid hams in
general really are, and it paid off. I had gained this geekoid group's
confidence.

It turned out that the other hams in the group were proponents of NOS. One
of the fellows asked Greg, "How can we ever hope to get 'progress' while
AX25 Packet is so popular and doing so well? ( Remember at that time, QST
used to give hams the impression that if you didn't have a Packet setup, you
were missing out on the best part of Ham Radio. )

Greg smiled because he had an answer. He explained that very soon, internet
access would be available to everyone, not just government facilities and
universities and that NOS stations could then link up together on the
internet instead of Packet Radio.

Then he explained how to undermine and destroy the AX25 Packet net by means
of a hostile takeover. - Something that immediately appealed to this group
of fellows who looked down upon thier fellow hams with scorn.

"All we have to do", he explained, "is to join them in order to beat them.
We will set up Packet BBS stations and do all of our message forwarding over
internet links, much much faster than ham radio."

To grasp what Greg was saying, imagine for a moment that you have invested
big bucks on a dedicated, computer-controlled HF digital station in the late
1980's in order to provide your fellow hams with access to an independent,
all-ham Packet radio network. - But when you receive a Packet message or
bulletin and try to forward to to a distant location, it is already there
because you have been "routed around" by faster non-ham internet links.

Greg explained that only a few Packet/internet gateways could thus undermine
the entire AX25 network by depriving key servers ( BBS stations in major
cities  ) of traffic so that the operators lose heart and give up on trying
to provide that service to thier fellow hams.

At the same time, Packet bulletins intended for the European network could
be re-routed as @WW and injected into the US Packet network with internet
links, thus serving to abruptly double the network's loading with
inappropriate traffic, thus making it very, very slow. - So that amateurs
would stop having fun with it and be ready to look for something else. (
NOS, in theory )

I guess Greg and his NOS friends had never heard about the Amateurs Code,
where you are supposed to avoid doing anything that would lessen the
enjoyment of your fellow hams, and how we are supposed to look out for each
other's interests.

They were too busy giggling at the prospect of all those disheartened Packet
BBS operators, and the thousands of Packet users in that era who would then
be "forced" to go over to amateur tcpip when AX25 Packet had been vandalized
sufficiently so that it was undermined.

Unfortunately, as we all know, Greg Jones was a lot better at figuring out
how to vandalize the hobby than he ever was a building anything. The gateway
stations did a great job of undermining AX25 Packet just as he said - but
hams still didn't like NOS, never did and so we ended up with - nothing.

Meanwhile, in Europe, high-speed backbone links and VOP ( Voice over
Packet ) were being developed on the excellent AX25 net there.

Here's the ironic part:

Amateur tcpip never went anywhere in the US, but it caught on big in Europe
where they had a great AX25 network to run that IP over.

Greg Jones and his NOS buddies cut thier own noses off to spite thier
face. - If they had read and understood a copy of The Amateurs Code and went
by its tenets, they would be enjoying high-speed amateur tcpip this very
day - just as hams in Europe have been doing for decades.

If they had respected and worked with thier fellow hams instead of
denigrating them, and working against them.

That's what happened to the US Packet net, boys and girls. I was there, and
I saw it from start to finish.

Use of internet gateways was regulated in Europe, so that it was illegal to
transport one networks traffic over the other.

It's a shame, and I mean a real shame that we never had that protection here
in the US.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL