John
I too use Remote Desktop on my local LAN to access my Ham gear. As far as access from the Internet, there could be an issue with a hardware or software firewall blocking inbound data. I need to try this here, as I have access too 2 WANs (ISPs) at home.

73... Jon W1MNK Brandon, FL USA
John Bradley wrote:

I have been fooling around with Windows XP remote access desktop, and found that I can readily access a desktop on any computer , wired or wireless, connected to my router.

Further, I found that if I was signed in on the ham computer , and MultiPSK or MixW was running already, I could change modes etc and actually do a digital QSO from a remote computer. I also had the Kenwood rig control software running, so could change frequencies, power, etc etc .

Since Digital doesn't need any audio feed to the remote, or microphone feed, it really lends itself to remote operations.

Trying this from the internet though did not permit accessing the computer...... according to XP documentation it's possible but didn't work for me. It looks like we need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to do this?

Possible applications include remote control of a Station located in an EOC, and enabling folks like Patrick

To access a station in North America to try the software personally. I'm not sure of the US laws, but know that

Patrick could run a station here remotely, signing himself F6CTE/VE5 , since there is a reciprocal agreement between Canada and France

Any bright ideas on how we can do this ?

John

VE5MU