Ric,

You have discovered the lost band...6M.  Well for that matter 10M and 6M FM.

Going back to my LMR (at the time just commercial 2-way radio) dispatch days,
motorola had a formula that said two stations running 30 watts at 30 ft could
operate 30 miles.  15 miles to a mobile and that was in the 30-50 MHz band.

Well, I much better than that.  Typically was 30 miles from a 30 ft antenna
with
the base station running 50-100 watts around 32 -37 MHz and slightly less at 47
MHz.  6m meters using very old commercial FM units got 25+ miles mobile to
mobile.  And on 10M, 30-40 miles was not uncommon.

I am a huge beliver in using 10M and 6M FM for out to 30-40 miles and a good HF
NVIS antenna for beyond ground wave.  $0M day and 75/80 at night and that will
always be more of a NVIS challange than 40M daytime.

Take a look at this SuperNVIS antenna. http://www.hamuniverse.com/supernvis.html
I REALLY works as advertised.

73,

Walt/K5YFW