There are plenty of digital modes that do not interfere. At the end of
the day everything boils down to signal to noise and bandwidth. If a
signal is really weak, it will have to be received in a narrow
bandwidth. The narrower the bandwidth, the slower the transfer of
information. At HF, digital transmission is limited to some fairly basic
modulation schemes if it is to work under poor conditions. There is only
so much that can be accomplished. Look at the commercial digital systems
used by various public safety organizations that operate on more stable
UHF channels. When they are needed most, they often fail and authorities
revert back to the old analog systems.

Don't get me wrong, I like experimenting with digital modes. It is just
that at this point I would never use the excuse of emergency service to
justify it. I certainly think that stations that transmit without
listening are more of a hazard in an emergency than an asset.

It is interesting to note that homeland security is investing in analog
SSB systems for last resort backup.

Michael Hatzakis Jr MD wrote:

> HF digital modes that can operate under very low signal situations are very
> useful to many and would be sad to see them be abolished.  I agree, their
> use needs to be fine tuned, but abolishing them seems draconian.  With all
> our innovation, why not spend our energy on their fair and more efficient
> use rather than chasing them away.
>

> My fear is that if we chase away modes we don’t like, when HF bands become
> really quiet because people no longer use CW and the number of hams declines
> because the hobby becomes uninteresting, the allocation gets sold to the
> highest commercial bidder.  We need to promote diversity to survive.  The
> world is going digital and wireless and this is what many new hams enjoy,
> like myself.

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

<*> Your email settings: