Alan Barrow wrote:

>  I've personally gone on site for two hurricanes. Not because I'm a
>  cop wanna-be. No, I did it at significant personal cost and
>  discomfort because thousands of folks needed help. And were asked,
>  somewhat desperately, to help. And we were uniquely positioned to
>  help, and did so.
>
>  I'd do the same if it was filling sand bags.

I totally agree with the above.  The times I participated in emergency
communications it was a tiresome but necessary chore involving
discomfort, boredom, and a considerable sacrifice of time.  (My own role
was very minor, but there were dedicated hams there that really
contributed a lot.) The local Red Cross services needed hams with HTs
and mobile rigs.  The work we did was tedious but necessary.  I have no
desire to be a cop or a firefighter, and I personally do not enjoy
Emcomm. I did a hitch in the Army and that was enough for me.

The strength of ham radio in the context of emergency communications  is
not that we are all sitting around all the time just itching to monitor
for that SOS or whatnot.  It is that amateur radio provides a reservoir
of private citizens who own and know how to quickly deploy things like
generators, antennas, and SSB/FM transceivers.  We can quickly put
together makeshift but effective communications in environments where
all other communications are temporarily down and out.  Katrina, the
1994 California earthquake, are but two examples.  There are countless
others.

I do agree that some persons with agenda have used the Emcomm argument
as a cloaking device to pursue an agenda.  Winlink immediately comes to
mind in this regard.  But this should not take away from the civic
minded hams in many countries who regularly make a real contribution to
emergency communications.

de Roger W6VZV