Yes, that can happen to transmitters in general, on any mode.  But, as long
as an operator is sitting there doing the control of the transmission, he is
capable of immediately knowing what is happening.  For instance: I come up
on a freq, in SSB, and listen.  Hearing nothing, I ask twice if the
frequnecy is busy.  Either someone responds, or they dont.  If they do, I go
elsewhere, find another freq and ask again.  If no one responds, then I can
reasonably be insured I am not going to interfere by calling CQ or call my
scheduled partner.    The Pactor, or any other automated station, without a
control operator is not able to do that.  It cant come up and ask if the
freq is clear or not. I am also reasonably sure that most Pactor (read -
automatic stations - because there are certainly other such modes) operators
who want keyboard to keyboard QSOs, DO listen.  I am not sure that they ever
first go to SSB and ask if the frequency is clear or not.  Asking in the
Pactor mode, would probably not get much response from SSB or other mode
operators who would immediately think that you had just come up
automatically to operator.  They wouldnt know the difference, not being able
to copy it.  Here, we might take a look at SSTV operators, who generally do
just that.  We come up on SSB, ask if the freq is clear, wait a few moments,
ask again, and hearing nothing, will either call a CQ on SSB stating we are
looking for an SSTV contact, or we might just, at that time, immeidately
transmit a CQ via SSTV.  Either way, we should first insure (via SSB) that
no one is using the freq.  (The old hidden transmitter syndrome).

Your second paragraph would be covered if the software is correctly written
and used.  It would have manual bypass which would allow you, as a control
operator sitting in place, to bypass the busy guard in order to transmit and
check for an ongoing QSO.  I think this is how the original "busy guard" was
written, and as explained to me.

 Third paragraph: same as second, with the bypass capability.

I understand your thinking, or at least think I do.  HI   But, I believe
what it comes down to, is without adopting the "busy guard", the powers that
be in the auto digitial world are going to find more and more resistance
from the rest of us, and eventually the FCC is going to have to step in and
make a decision.  I dont think that  the digital world wants that.  They
certainly dont need that, and can prevent it by quickly adopting the "busy
guard" capability.  I also think they are pushing to avoid the "busy guard",
by ignoring it at this point, hoping it will go away.  After all, who wants
to be told "Yes- the frequency is busy".

I personally think there is a place for automatic transmission "on guard"
sites.  I would envision such to exist on every ham band, where I or any
other operator could go, immediately connect up, and report an emergency
situation.  That way, whether sailing or driving an RV, or sitting at home
with the phones out, I could get someones immediate attention for sickness,
accidents, etc.  But those should not spread over large sections of any
band, or be in the middle of an ongoing conversation.  Easily avoided, by
strict adherence of, not a band-plan, but a specific assigned frequency, and
to be used ONLY for emergencies.  Other than that, such transmission modes
should be used, as are any others, with a control operator and for keyboard
to keyboard operaton.  I really dont see where we have either the spectrum
or the necessity to turn ham radio into a common carrier operation.
Danny Douglas
N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB
All 2 years or more (except Novice)
Pls QSL direct, buro, or LOTW preferred,
I Do not use, but as a courtesy do upload to eQSL for
those who do.

Reply via email to