--- In [email protected], "Bill McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> Hello David,
> 
> I have not had that exact problem, so others might be able to shed
> more light than I can.
> First thing I would do is check for an open ground or a ground loop.
> Also consider that your ptt "ground" is not necessarily your audio
> "ground".
> Does the problem go away when you transmit into a dummy load and/or at
> reduced power? Does it improve when you drop the audio level into and
> from your interface? Are you in close proximity to your antenna with
> your radio, computer and interface? Does this happen on just one band
> or on all bands? Not familiar with that interface, but is the
> interface audio hot and the mic hot tied together or are you using an
> aux port? Also what does the your signal sound like, other than
> "terrible"? Sorry for so many questions.
> 
> If all else checks out, the ferrite chokes are a fairly inexpensive
> fix, if indeed it is your cable that is picking up the RF.
> 
> 73,
> 
> Bill N9DSJ
> 
> 
> --- In [email protected], "David Bowman      WB0QIR"
> <wb0qir@> wrote:
> >
> > I have a Kenwood TS-680S rig and am using a psk31/rtty soundcard
> > interface from Associated Radio.  Whenever The db9 data cable from the
> > interface is plugged into a computer my signal is terrible when I
> > transmit data or use the microphone.  Unhooking the microphone does
> > not help.  Before I buy some ferrite chokes I wanted to see if anyone
> > has any other ideas of how or what the problem may be and how to
fix it.
> >
>
I have used the serial cable from my rig to my tnc with no problems. 
The person who has monitored my signal can't hear me with my dummy
load.  The PSK-31 cable that I got from Associated Radio is sealed and
 I can't tell how the interface box or DB9 looks like.  Unhooking the
microphone does no good.  When I unhook the interface cable while
talking thru the microphone the interference goes away immediately and
vice verse.  It doesn't matter which end I disconnect.  I have no
problems with the microphone and speaker lines from the interface.  I
have tried wrapping the cable in aluminum foil.  I am using 450 ohm
ladder line to my mfj deluxe tuner which probably doesn't help it
much.  I pulled my ground from my ground rod and if there is a ground
now it would be thru my house service.  My tuner, rig and computer are
within 3 ft of each other. I have not heard my signal but have been
told by more than one person that is has rf on it.  I could get a
recording of it if needed. I don't feel that this problem just
started, I just haven't used the cable to transmit.  I have a picture
frame shaped ferrite of about 1 in square that I tried but it didn't
help.  I have a cube shaped screwdriver magnetizer that I just thought
of trying with the other ferrite.  I have not yet tried the beer can
that KC7CJO suggested.  Thanks to both of you for responding. 

Reply via email to