-I have had the same experience as Rick, some helpful hams but some
grumpy hams on the usual SSTV frequencies.  Also, too much talking.
Like,  one picture sent and 5 minutes of chit-cat. Like some of the
less-used digital modes, SSTV is only used by a small amount of hams,
and you tend to run in to the same few hams over and over again.

With the experiments here in the past week, we can redefine the basic
guide to SSTV. In fact, I am not sure term SLOW-SCAN fully applies
any more.

Here is a quick view :

Wide Analogue SSTV: Exceeds 500 Hz wide and thus in th USA requires
the frequency used to be within the portions of the bands defined
for "image".  Most popular frequency is 14230.  Used to exchange
pictures , operator use voice SSB on same frequency to discuss
pictures and the mode in general . MMSTV and Multipsk are popular
software for these modes. DM780 has a pending beta that also supports
these modes.

Narow Analogue SSTV.  Using SSTV modes that are less than 500 Hz
appears to allow USA operators to utilize the the same portion of the
bands assigned to other digital mdoes like PS31 or RTTY.  The picture
sent is viewed as "data".  Modes such as MP73-N (found in MMSTV) are
used with text overlays for signal reports, etc.  SSB voice
transmissions are not used between tranfers.  Most used frequencies
seem to be 10132 and 7077.Not sure about other countries.

MFSK16 with pictures.  Multipsk and Mixw allow for a digital QSO with
MFSK16 and switch to a narrow mode picture transfer method when the
users decide.  Pictures are small.  Use the same frequencies that you
normally use MFSK16.  Try 14077, 7035, 7077.

Digital SSTV:  Easypal, Hampal and other digital SSTV applications
transfer pictures digitally rather than analogue.  The received
picture quality is a good as the original picture .  These
applications use a method that has some error detection.  The sofware
detects "segments" of a picture that are not  received fully, at the
end of the transfer the receiving station sends a "BSR" (Bad Signal
Report) alerting the originating station as to which segments were
not correctly received.  The originating station then sends a "fix",
sending just the segments the other station needed.  This software
can also be used for general file transfers. There is quite a bit of
activity, look first for signals on 14233.

RSFM:  I have included this software in the discussion of SSTV
because, like digital SSTV, it is more of a file transfer program.
You send your pictures as a file and , if received,  the picture is
as good as the original.   It works under the standard MIL-STD-188-
110A .  The file transfers utilize a rather broad bandwidth and also
use a automatic error correcting method.  In the USA there are limits
on how/where the software can be used in the amateur bands,  but
there is much activity with this modee in Europe, Canada, and
Australia.

Others:  WinDRM and DigiTRX  also allow file transfers similar to
Easypal, thus pictures can also be sent.  With WinDRM you can also
talk via digital voice.

Andy K3UK
-- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> The digital modes are not often mixed with analog and since the
analog
> were there first, they tend to use the lower frequency,
particularly on
> 20 meters.
>
> Since you are quite close to me, you may find that best signals on
40
> meters as a good choice. The most active operator is Dave Jones,
KB4YZ,
> located in Indiana.
>
> Most of operation on 40 meters is digital SSTV but some hams may
still
> be operating analog on 20 or other frequencies. There may be
> Yahoogroups, but one thing about SSTV is that all the coordination
is
> done with voice and that probably means SSB voice most of the time,
so
> you can ask questions. Dave is very helpful and pleasant although I
have
> found some of the older hams to be a bit unpleasant with newcomers
who
> ask questions.
>
> The most popular software at the moment seems to be EasyPal and
seems to
> have eclipsed WinDRM for digital SSTV.
>
> I recommend Dave's site for SSTV information:
>
> http://www.kiva.net/~djones/
>
> Scroll down to the EasyPal (New Version) section for information
and
> downloads.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>

> Bob Christenson wrote:
> > Hi guys, I'm looking into SSTV. I see that popular frequencies to
> > operate it are 7171, 7173, 14230 and 14233. Are these pictures
sent
> > using an analog or digital method? What popular software is being
> > used? Is there another Yahoo group for this? Thanks for the help.
Bob