Andy,

Regarding matching the RTTY tones... matching a tone is difficult for some
people and easy for others. For example, some people sing off key! Were you
good at matching the note of the pitch pipe in music class?  :-)

You said some RTTY signals did not sound the same as yours. I heard this as
well, and one was so blatant I had to look at my scope! The reason for this
dissimilar sound is because some fellows overdrive their transmitter audio
input when using AFSK. This generates distortion, harmonics and secondary
signals. I hear this during every RTTY contest and last weekend was no
exception. A bad soundcard or driver could be a potential problem as well, but
not as likely as excessive mic gain.

If a RTTY signal is generated by AFSK and the audio is not pure, it will sound
different from good 2125 and 2295 tones. It's the same principle that a middle
C note on a violin sounds different than the same note on a clarinet. Both
instruments produce the same fundamental frequency, but each has its unique
signature of harmonics and overtones that allow you to easily distinguish
between them.

So now you know why a lot of RTTY operators say this mode is "music to their
ears"! But why are they called "green keys"? A piano is black and white.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN