Hello Rick.

   Let's turn our attention to the "astonishing" robustness of
Pactor-2/3. Surprisingly low signal to noise ratio can be reached
due to using low-speed rate of the low band signal ONLY. How does it
work? First of all low signal to noise ratio declared by the
producer are not measured in the small band, used by Pactor signal,
but in the whole band of the standard telephone channel (0,3-3,4
kHz). So the noise is assigned evenly to the whole band. Then the
process of treatment is as follows: as the "useful" signal is
concentrated in a certain definitely appointed frequency area the
preliminary digital filtration is used. As a result the noise that
does not get to the "useful" signals would be filtered consequently
the signal to noise ratio will be much better in fact. So the
question arises "it still works" where is dirty trick?
   In fact it works if the noise is assigned evenly. But it would
fail because of any interference in "useful" Pactor signal, even if
the signal to noise ratio in the whole band is more than 30 dB.
Furthermore if considerable staggering of transceiver or Doppler
shift occurs the system will work badly or even stop working as the
part of "useful" Pactor signal will be cut by the filters. The
experience shows that the situations of that kind are widespread.
Ok I believe that the further development of this technology can be
in using much more low band signals like CW. Especially if transmit
symbols at a rather low speed..... The duration of sending will be
high and signal to noise ratio (for the WHOLE band) will be really
impressive... don't you think that it is rather amazing and this way
carries to the point of absurdity...
   If use the decision like this using low band signal, one should
provide a frequency hopping in band 0,3–2.7 êÃö. In that case it
will work in lager number of occasions, but still not in every one.
The technologies like this are going out of use in professional
radio-communication. As for serial tone modems with adaptive
algorithms they are of far-reaching importance. In particular using
the antenna diversity method allows improving the signal to noise
ratio and filter out the noise from other directions.
   Speaking about changing the modulation in MIL-STD modems it
should be remarked that in supplement to the standard the 39-tone
OFDM modem is really described. But I'm afraid that standard
software (like STANAG-5066) will fail to switch rapidly from one
rate to another due to rather simple reason. To choose the optimal
rate one should always estimate the channel characteristics. Only
this information can help to make a good choice. Such modems do not
estimate this and however can not give them to the application
software.
   In RFSM uninterrupted estimation of channel state takes place and
this very estimation allows choosing the optimal speed of data
transmission. So if the state improves RFSM will choose the maximum
speed that is possible. For example in Pactor-2/3
increasing/decreasing the speed carries stepwise. Like the
method "now I feel better so I can transmit faster" or vise versa "I
feel bad so I should decrease the speed at one level" :)
   About using MIL-STD 188-110A/B technology. The modems used in MIL-
STD are "dumb", and can provide just non-guaranteed simple txt-files
transmission. In that case even the speed of transmission must be
chosen by the user. The software that realizes data link protocol
and different user's services provided additionally. The RFSM has
not only a "dumb" modem, but also data link protocol optimized for
this standard, and different users services.

Dmitry.