Thanks for the comments, Ralph,

Most of us OT's have known about the cross polarization for decades. But
it really does hit home when you try it out for yourself. I had never
had both horizontal and vertical antennas available to me at one time as
I only had horizontal back in 1964 when I was first on 2 meter AM. Later
on I only had vertical.

I spent some time searching the web for some solid information on the
distance issue. Some practical numbers perhaps? There just does not seem
to be that much advantage to horizontal the closer the stations are to
each other. Some difference on the over 100 mile paths perhaps, but I
wonder how often we will use that long a path on VHF for this kind of
work. My recent SSB contact to north of Chicago to a high end weak
signal operator to my 50 watts with a 4 element beam at a very good
location tells me that this 180 mile path might have even been difficult
for digital modes. Lots of very warbly audio and severe QSB making phone
contact barely possible. But it would have been most interesting to try
digital on that path to get a feel for it.

For digital modes I can operate 160 meters up thru 6 meters, but not 2
meters at this time. Perhaps some of you have tried calling CQ on PSK31
or other modes on say, 6 meters? I have done this many times on 50.290,
but no luck and have never heard anything either. I have heard some
PSK31 on 28.120 but nothing "local" as it was likely all Es.

Using repeaters is absolutely not an option since we are specifically
trying to operate without infrastructure and if the repeaters are
operational, other communications are likely to be operational as well
in an emergency situation that we are preparing for.

And with our terrain, 20 miles on VHF FM through a repeater, can be
difficult. Our repeater drops out in several directions when you
approach that point when operating mobile, even though the repeater
location is on a high water tower at about the highest point in the
county. We will find out a lot more this spring/summer when we do the 2
meter SSB tests and find out for myself. Maybe I can convince someone to
operate VHF digital?

We hope to do something with 6 meters too, but Skip recommends 2 meter
SSB equipment for NBEMS digital.  We will also be trying several HF
antennas to compare portable operation. We have mobile HF operation with
my wife's vehicle, but you lose ground wave on 75 meters within 10 to 15
miles. Since there is minimal NVIS pattern from a vertical HF antenna,
mobile operation does have its downsides for close in work. Much of what
hams think is "ground wave" on HF, can be NVIS.

If the FoF2 drops down to 2 MHz at night, I have found it impossible to
try and communicate on 80 meters with a station only 20 miles away. And
that is using CW!

To give you an idea of the problem that an ARES ham faced this summer
during the 1000 year flood, he was stationed at a remote location that
was well out of range of the repeater. I just measured the distance and
it is only like 15 to 18 miles and yet he had no way to hit the repeater
from that location, even though he had a very good portable setup. The
only way he could contact the DEC to coordinate ARESMAT help was with
cellphone. He later admitted that this was a ridiculous situation. I
pointed out that if he is serious about an amateur radio solution, he,
and others in  ARES/RACES, really need to give consideration to getting
their General class license and having HF capability and have the
equipment and know how to use it. The only other possibility that I can
think of is 2 meter SSB phone/digital, but as I have said, no one has
tested the efficacy as yet.

In terms of the EOC, we have had several Field Day activities at the
site and we tried to set up an 80 meter dipole but the building really
does not fit that kind of antenna very well and is festooned with many
other antennas that we don't want to interfere with. So if we absolutely
must set up HF at that location, we can quickly install a sloper dipole.
Not pretty as you point out, but will work. An alternative would be to
have a VHF ink to a home station that has emergency power. Or both as
needed.